- Doctor of Medicine – University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Master in Public Health – University of Pittsburgh School of Public Health
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency – University of New Mexico Medical Center
- Sports Medicine & Arthroscopy Fellowship – Cincinnati Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center
- Board Certified – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Certificate of Added Qualification – Orthorpaedic Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
Dr. Aboka brings superior orthopaedic surgical experience to Hampton Roads, having trained at the world-renowned Cincinnati Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, under the tutelage of Dr. Frank Noyes, one of the most acclaimed and influential arthroscopic knee and ACL surgeons in a generation.
Utilizing the most advanced arthroscopic reconstructive techniques for the shoulder, knee, hip, elbow and ankle joints, Dr. Aboka has gained regional acclaim for his expertise in the management or arthritis, overuse conditions and sports injuries. He has received recognition by his peers and his patients with several awards, including:
- Top Orthopaedic Surgeon Award – Hampton Roads, 2015 (Coastal Virginia Magazine)
- Top 10 Orthopaedic Surgeon Award – Virginia Beach, 2015 (Vitals.com)
- Patients’ Choice Award – 2014 (Vitals.com)
- Compassionate Doctor Recognition Award – 2014 (Vitals.com)
While Dr. Aboka treats all areas of musculoskeletal pathology, he specializes in minimally invasive surgery, employing arthroscopy and other modern orthopaedic surgical techniques. Dr. Aboka is one of few physicians in Hampton Roads to routinely perform cutting-edge surgical techniques, such as:
- All-Arthroscopic Primary and Revision Rotator Cuff Repair
- Arthroscopic SLAP and Labral Repair
- All-Inside Minimal Scar ACL Reconstruction
- Multi-ligament Reconstruction
- Hip Arthroscopy with Labral Repair
- Arthroscopic Hip Acetabuloplasty and Femoroplasty
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Reverse Shoulder Replacement
- 3-D Print Cementless Knee Replacement
- MAKOplasty Robotic Knee Replacement
- Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement (Jiffy Hip)
He has received additional training, and is certified in the innovative MAKOplasty Robotic-Assisted Knee Replacement Surgery, and performs partial and patello-femoral knee replacement procedures. His shoulder expertise ranges from modern arthroscopic instability techniques like the Remplissage to complex reconstructive procedures like the Reverse Shoulder Replacement.
Dr. Aboka has a special interest in arthroscopic management of hip disorders of the athlete, including femoro-acetabular impingement, labral tears, snapping hip and tendon tears.
He has gained extensive experience working with athletes at all levels, providing care for various teams including the University of New Mexico Lobos, New Mexico Mustangs Hockey, Hampton Roads Whalers Hockey and the Cincinnati Bengals.